Introduction of our laboratory

We mainly do research in Computer Graphics, with focus on physics-based animation, shape modeling as well as digital geometry processing. Prospective master and doctoral students, postdocs, research students are welcome to contact us.

Please find detailed research themes from here.

How to become our lab. members (for international students)

Especially for privately-funded Chinese students, please read the following document (written in Japanese).
For privately-funded international students who want to become our lab members

The usual way is to become a research student at first and then to take an entrance examination of our graduate school (master course or doctor course). We believe that the following website is much useful for you to get the information for admissions.

Admissions for Foreign Research Students (Graduate School of Arts and Sciences) (in Japanese)

Research students (privately funded)

The application deadline for our department is as follows:

  1. If you are not living in Japan at the time of application:
    • Spring admission (from April) … the end of November of the previous year
    • Fall admission (from September) … the end of April of the current year
  2. If you are living in Japan at the time of application:
    • Spring admission (from April) … the end of January of the current year
    • Fall admission (from September) … the end of May of the current year

For more details, please see the following website.

Research students (MEXT scholarship)

Please refer the following website. If you have any question, feel free to contact us.

CAUTION: Research Student Program is mainly for preparing master/doctor course entrance examination. Research students cannot earn credits or receive degrees. They need prior approval from the instructor of the courses they wish to audit. However, they can take several training programs of Japanese language held on Komaba/Hongo campus.
Please don’t hesitate to contact us if you would like to know the conditions for which we accept you as a research student.

Bachelor students (fourth grade)

Our lab. belongs to the Department of Interdisciplinary Sciences, College of Arts and Sciences. To become our lab member as a bachelor student, you are required to be a student in our department. Generally, your lab. is determined in the beginning of February.

Graduate students (master course)

To be our lab member as a master course student, you have to pass the entrance examination:

Graduate School of Arts and Sciences/Department of General System Studies
Entrance examination: (in Japanese)
Guidance: (in Japanese)

Please be sure to contact us by sending e-mail or visiting our lab. in advance, if you are willing to take an exam.

CAUTION: Currently, Japanese language skills are necessary for our master course.

Graduate students (doctoral course)

For applicants from outside of our department, the submission deadline is in later July (fall admission) or late December (spring admission). The entrance examination held on the end of July (fall admission) or the beginning of February (spring admission) is composed of the interview including presentation (mainly the content of master thesis and the research plan in doctoral course) and English paper test (Native speakers can be omitted).

For more details, please see here and here (in Japanese).

Contact information

We welcome your visit of our lab. If you are interested, please send e-mail to the address below at first or use contact form. Don’t hesitate to contact us if you would have any question.

Takashi Kanai
University of Tokyo, Graduate School of Arts and Sciences